These efforts earned Angie a coveted PTA “Golden Acorn” award:
- Taught after school architecture, science, and art enrichment classes to elementary school kids.
- Taught science to small pullout groups of 2nd and 3rd graders.
- Designed an overhaul of Broadview Elementary School’s playground and worked with the District and PTA to secure funding for purchase.
- Organized a District and voluntary work party to install new equipment.
- Helped with the passage of much needed school bonds to pay for hot lunches, improved instruction, and maintenance and operations.
- Coached Destination Imagination to help young students engage in the exploration of design/build team competitions.
- Built sets for school plays.
These efforts helped to strengthen our community and protect our environment:
- At Fort Nugent Park in Oak Harbor, Angie and her kids helped install playground equipment and served food to hungry volunteers.
- Scuba diving with her kids in Oak Harbor’s lagoon to pull out garbage to make the lagoon safe for community swimmers.
- Created a non-profit called Swan Lake Watershed Preservation Group to protect a publicly owned coastal lagoon and wetland on Whidbey Island.
- Removed noxious weeds with the Whidbey Camano Land Trust and Swan Lake Watershed Preservation Group, both non-profits.
- Helped build sets for productions at the Whidbey Playhouse a local community theater.
- Helped Habitat for Humanity home construction
- Chair the academic scholarship committee for the Whidbey American Association of University Women.
- Cleared trails at Fort Ebey State Park for the local bicycle club.
- League of Women Voters of Whidbey Island
- American Association of University Women - Whidbey Island Branch
- Swan Lake Watershed Preservation Group - Oak Harbor
- Whidbey Audubon Society
- Island County Historic Society
- Stanwood Area Historical Society